I will guide you through the process of getting your own .COM domain, and hosting your website for 1 year for only $0.99 + the ICANN fee (at time of writing this post it is $0.18, so it’s really $1.17.) The complete this whole process, it will take about 3-4 days from beginning to end. The $0.99 price is ONLY for the first year, after that first year you can either chose to pay GoDaddy’s original price, or turn off the “Auto-renew” and switch to another domain registration company.
- Go to Godaddy.com (If the coupon does not work, you may need to Google a different coupon code. GoDaddy is always running a promotion)
- Type in the domain you want in the “Start your domain search” search box and click GO.
- It will then show if that domain is available or not. If so, it will say something like this “****.com is available for $12.99.” That’s fine, just click the add button. Then click “Continue to Checkout“, If it asks for additional services, just click the “No, Thanks” button. Look at your domain and make sure it’s correct. Then put “1 year” under the *Term* dropdown option. IF it doesn’t show the $0.99 price, scroll down and apply this coupon in the “Promotion code” area, FBTGT10. Once it applies the code, and the price is correct, you may checkout and follow GoDaddy’s instructions. It may take up to 24 hours for your domain to be finalized. Once it is, you move on to step #4.
- Now that you own your domain, we need to get your a place to host your website. The best free hosting out there would be at 000WebHost.com and it is the company I am hosting my website on right now! They give 1500 MB of disk space and 100 GB data transfer monthly, which is enough to last a long time. Also no-ads ever! Anyways let’s move on.
- Click here —> 000WebHost.com
- Click “Order Now” under their free hosting.
- Under “I want to host my own domain (domain must be registered already)” type the domain you have chosen from GoDaddy. Enter your email and other info below. You NEED to skip “or, I will choose your free subdomain“
- Once you create your account, you should receive about 2-3 emails. They will walk you through “changing your domain’s nameservers” and you can also contact GoDaddy for support on how to do that. The 000Webhost nameservers can be found by logging on to the members’ area, entering your control panel and navigating to ‘View Account Details‘. After you have updated nameservers of your domain, it will start working (pointing 000Webhost server) in 24 – 48 hours. You will see message ‘Your website is up and running’ after visiting your domain.
- Finally, after setting your domain’s nameserver to point towards 000Webhost, you are ready to build your website anyway you like! I chose to use 000webhost’s ‘1-click installer’ and install WordPress, which is jammed pack with plugins, themes, and complete blogging system and content manager. I HIGHLY recommend using WordPress for both amaure and professional websites.
And you are complete!! Congratz on your new website!
Here is a free tip on how to keep your website FAST, SAFE, and CLEAR of hackers and spammers!
I use a FREE service called CloudFlare. It has been a nice and awesome tool to use on my website. At time’s when my website appears to be slow, cloudflare auto kicks in, and speeds it up! 🙂
Of course, any time you change your domain’s nameservers, it will take about 24 hours to complete the process. SO if you choose to use them, you will have to wait it out. But I find it worth it.
It is best to set up CloudFlare RIGHT AFTER you complete the set up with 000WebHost.com‘s nameservers.
Link mentioned above